FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS - FACIAL PEELS
Rationale Procedure Peeling System
Chemical peels correct a variety of skin imperfections such as blemishes, wrinkles, and uneven pigmentation. They exfoliate the outer layers of dead skin, revealing new skin with improved tone, texture, and colour.
Chemical peels reduce or eliminate acne scars, sun damage, and other skin imperfections. There are several types of chemical peels, each designed for different types and degrees of skin problems.
Treatment plans are tailored to each individual skin type.. If required a more intense peel can be performed by Dr. Morley depending on your individual needs.
Dr Morley recommends the Obagi Blue peel system for those patients requiring a more aggressive approach to skin rejuvenation. Learn more about the Obagi Blue Peel below:
At Emetheni we use the Rationale Skin care system for all our routine peels. This is supported by a fantastic at home treatment system. Visit the rationale website below for more information about this medical grade skin care range.
What You Should Know About Rationale Procedure Peels
- Condition: Sun damage, Rosacea, acne, pigmentation, sensitive skin or dull skin
- Solution: Rationale Specialised Peels and Rationale at home maintenance programs
- Benefits: Lightens pigmentation, reduces pore size, reduces blackheads and pimples, reduces oiliness, increases skin hydration, reduces redness and lightens and brightens your skin!
Treatments required: You will see an improvement from your first peel, but a course of 4 to 6 peels, 4 to 6 weeks apart,is recommended and can also be used in conjunction with IPL treatments.
Treatment Duration: 35 minutes.
Downtime: No downtime but some redness and flaking may be visible for a few days.
Acne is a complex skin condition involving excess sebum production, clogged pores and bacteria that cause inflamed acne lesions. The following three steps are essential to control acne:
- Unclog Pores
- Control Follicular Bacteria
- Reduce Inflammation and Irritation
Rationale products can help to soothe irritated, acne-prone skin.
Pigmentation describes a range of conditions where skin becomes blotchy or discoloured. A common example is melasma, which mainly affects young women. Pigmentation can be caused by hormonal factors, skin trauma and excessive sun exposure.
Rationale Niacinamide Serum contains skin brightening agents that can help reduce the appearance of pigmentation that has already occurred. Rationale sunscreens, such as Daily Dose SPF 25+, are ideal protection against UV-induced pigmentation. The alpha and beta hydroxy acids in Rationale Skin Refining Serum and Procedure MicroPeel help remove pigmented surface cells, and improve cellular turnover.
Prescription medications and phototherapy, such as IPL or laser treatment, should be combined with Rationale to achieve best results.
Sensitive skin can be related to impaired barrier function of the skin’s surface layers. Without this protection, skin becomes dry and easily irritated. Barrier function can be diminished through genetic factors, climatic conditions and the use of skincare products that remove skin lipids (sebum) and cause irritation.
Rationale moisturisers, Moisture+, Enriched Hydration, and Daily Dose SPF 25+ help fortify the skin’s barrier function with a perfect combination of the body’s own protective lipids and natural moisturising factors. Rationale Preparatory Cleanser is ideal for patients with sensitive skin, gently removing debris without the use of detergents. Rationale Skin Refining Serum and Niacinamide also help improve barrier function over time, leading to calmer, less irritated skin.
Sun Damaged Skin
Excessive sun exposure can cause premature ageing, including changes to colour, texture and hydration. It can also cause more serious changes to the skin's immune functions that can lead to skin cancer. Daily sunscreen use is the most important factor in treating sun damaged skin. Alpha and beta hydroxy acids can be beneficial to sun damaged skin by helping gently exfoliate the uppermost layers of rough dry skin. Topical vitamins A, C & E in the Rejuvenating Serum and Retinaldehyde Serum can also improve skin softness, clarity and hydration over time. Weekly and monthly Procedure peels help to maintain a fresher, smoother, more even complexion.
What Should You Expect From Rationale Procedure Peels
- Your face will be cleansed, analysed and appropriately peeled
- You will feel a mild tingling feeling whilst the peel is active
- Your pigmentation may appear darker before drying out and peeling off
- Significant improvement is seen in as few as 3-4 treatments
- Fine lines and pigmentation will be significantly reduced and your skin will appear refreshed
What to Do Before and After Rationale Procedure Peels Pre-Treatment:
- Please wear minimal make up
- Please advise therapists when making your appointment if you have taken or been taking acne medication within the last 6 months
- Immediately after the treatment the treated area will appear slightly red and have a slight sunburn sensation, possibly accompanied by some minor swelling. This usually lasts 2-24 hours and can be soothed with cold gel or ice packs
- Keep skin clean and use sun block with a minimum of SPF 30+ daily
- You may notice peeling a few days after your peel.